Monday, March 12, 2018

My Very Own First Friday!

The Melancholy Musings of a Misfit Girl has evolved into Love Is a Sometimes Distorted Journey into a gal realizing a dream of sharing her words with the outside world.
As you know from my previous blog regarding producing my very first Zine, I have now produced another one titled "Love is a Sometimes Distorted Journey". This one is more special to me as I did write most of them fresh, some were older ones that I revamped. I am extremely proud of this one.
As I went to Wasted Ink to drop it off, I finally got to meet Charissa Lucille the amazing owner of the Distro! I happened to go on First Friday which was her first one setting up in The Hive (the little art collective where the Distro is housed). I was so impressed by the turnout, the vibe, the people and the energy that I right away had to ask how I could be a part of it. Well, it just so happens that it was a fluid movement, very much like getting my Zine in there.
I was walking on air! I stopped by to see my friends over at SNOH and shared my excitement with them. It is really a blessing to have people who believe in what you are doing and stand behind you in your adventures.
I went home and immediately began throwing my efforts into painting my canvases and adding poems onto them. I forgot how much I really enjoyed doing that. So, I got myself prepared for the upcoming First Friday event. There were so many other amazing shows going on that Friday, the energy surrounding the days leading up the it were off the charts. My friend Monique was setting up her AzNm Connection show at two venues that brought together so many amazing artists and SNOH had a great line up of artists and vendors as well. Sure to be a First Friday to remember. Also my friends Alto and Haps were putting on their radio show called Contents Under Pressure (good old KDIF 102.9 FM...in case you have not checked out their line up of shows, you should)featuring my good friends from Crates Records and Gear as the guests.
I had my daughter aka my side kick Briahna along with me for the excitement at The Hive. When we went in, first let me tell you that I was so nervous that I tried to open a door that was closed off for a reason, almost knocking it down....oh my how funny for my grand entrance so to speak. I go in and Charissa directs me to an amazing little spot and we get to work. Now, luckily with doing shows alongside my other artist friends and setting up at toy conventions, I felt at home once I put the table up. The whole experience was a beautiful surreal moment. I swear, a smile never left my face all night.
My vision of how the table would look was realized and we were ready to go! As people began to flow in, they would stop and chat about my Zines but they were really interested in the canvas that I hand paint the poems onto. I had so much fun talking to people about my work and it felt amazing! I really enjoyed sharing the moment with my daughter as well.
My friends and my boyfriend all showed up to support me and laugh with me and basically just brighten my whole night. It truly was an amazing experience and it felt so well deserved. I actually took pride in doing it as I did it on my own as far as bringing it all to fruition and to think it all started with an idea and a chance encounter with an amazing little Zine Distro. I am forever grateful and humbled to have experienced this. I am so grateful to those who showed up and to my friends who came by to show love and to those who were with me in spirit as well. You have made this lady very happy and I am forever grateful for all of you. Briahna, Jason, Locke, James, Serg, Todd, Raymond, Darrell D, Angel and Angelica mi femina. I LOVE you all! And appreciate you in more ways than you know. Thank you to Charissa, Wasted Ink, The Hive, The Bees Knees and the whole amazing collective over there, thanks to you for allowing us this amazing space to set up away from downtown craziness. And thank you again Charissa for allowing me to be a part of something to special and meaningful. You really have no idea how much I appreciate this opportunity and look forward to next month :)
The best part of doing the show was actually doing it because it was something I wanted to do and knew that I could do it. Fear is a thing of the past...let us all face our fears and plow on through this life living it the way that we want! Stay positive, Stay focused, Stay real, Stay humble and always face the world head on!

No comments: